css drop down menu by Css3Menu.com

Welcome to saintsstatistics.co.uk - this site lists every match St Albans City F.C. has played since it’s formation in 1908.
We are slowly adding each player’s appearances. If you can help with any information on past players please email us at markajones69@icloud.com.

Change:  Move to:
09.12.2014 at 15:00 Gaywood Park Attendance : 51
Kings Langley
0 - 2
St Albans City
Referee : Mark Mellor (Hemel Hempstead) Herts Senior Cup / Second Round-match

None John Frendo (12)
John Frendo (88)
Opening squads
Anthony Ladyman
Danny Hutchins
Tom Carter
Ollie Cox
Connor Toomey
Callum Adebayi
Lee Burgoyne
Sam Warrell
Mitchell Weiss
Jack Johnson
Daryl Atkins
Tom Coulton
Sam Corcoran
John Kyriacou
Darren Locke
Omar Beckles
Charlie Smith
Steve Wales
Danny Green
James Comley
Cameron Lancaster
John Frendo
Jack Stevens
Billy Stevens
Matt Bateman
Charlie Crowley
Mayson Tewkesbury
Charlie Gorman
Jack Green
Alex Yearwood
Loick Pires
Billy Stevens -> Ollie Cox (65)
Matt Bateman -> Mitchell Weiss (75)
Jack Stevens -> Daryl Atkins (81)
Loick Pires -> Danny Green (50)
Jack Green -> Steve Wales (70)
Alex Yearwood -> Cameron Lancaster (70)
Yellow cards
None None.
Red cards
None None.
Match report
A goal in either half for John Frendo at a wind and rainswept Gaywood Park saw St Albans City progress through to the 3rd Round of the Herts Senior Cup at the expense of a highly impressive Kings Langley on Tuesday.

Frendo took his season’s tally into double figures and his county cup total to five in just two appearances.

Had Ritchie Hanlon and Paul Hughes’s South Midlands League table toppers possessed a player of Frendo’s ruthlessness in front of goal then the Saints could well have returned home with their tails firmly squeezed between their legs.

Former City boss Hanlon has got his young side playing a slick passing game and their position at the top of the table appears fully justified on the evidence of this game.

The playing conditions were quite appalling, as a strong wind blew the rain, which grew in intensity during half time, straight down the pitch towards one goal.

St Albans played with the elements to their backs for the opening 45 minutes and in fielding a strong starting XI would probably have expected to have put the game beyond Kings Langleys reach by the interval.

The omens looked good for City early on, as a swift exchange between Frendo, Sam Corcoran and Cameron Lancaster ended with Frendo having a cleanly struck right-footed volley well saved by home keeper Anthony Ladyman.

And matters looked really promising for City on 12 minutes when James Comley, after a long run through the middle of the pitch, slid a pass through to the free Frendo who fired the opening goal through the legs of the exposed Ladyman.

But City failed to press home their early advantage and seemed content to play far too many back passes, some of which went astray in the wild conditions and offered the home side a route back into the game.

Frendo’s bright start suffered a blow when he received an accident kick on his nose from the Kings left-back Tom Carter.

After a spell of prolonged treatment, to stem the flow of blood, the Saints leading marksman returned to the pitch but with his hooter looking distinctly battle scarred.

The home side made light of the adverse conditions and created several reasonable openings.

Mitchell Weiss had a shot comfortably gathered by Tom Coulton, and Jack Johnson flashed an effort across the face of the goal before a good run and cross by Callum Adebayi almost led to Omar Beckles putting through his own goal.

City hit back with possibly their best move of the game that ended with Lancaster slipping a good ball through the home defence to Steve Wales. His chipped pass to the back post found the advancing Frendo but Danny Hutchins did well to clear from the goalline.

The half time interval allowed the players some respite from the weather, but they returned after the break to find that the wind and rain had both gained strength and were battering the goal that St Albans now had to defend.

Five minutes into the second half City replaced Danny Green, back after injury but troubled by a cold, with Loick Pires. The former Welling United striker is wearing the club colours again after a couple of loan spells away from Clarence Park.

Green’s exit led to Charlie Smith filling in at left-back.

The home side continued to enjoy a good amount of possession throughout the remainder of the game but St Albans stronger physical presence meant that Coulton received ample protection.

A clever back-heel by Lancaster looked to have put Frendo through but a superbly timed tackle by Connor Toomey – brother of the former City striker Lewis, who was looking on from the touchline – cleared the danger.

A swift counter-attack saw Johnson whip a dangerous ball into the goalmouth that Coulton needed two goes at collecting, while Lee Burgoyne ended a powerful run with another shot across the face of the goal and wide.

Burgoyne had two further attempts on goal but Coulton’s handling remained reliable in the difficult conditions.

City gave First team experience to teenagers Jack Green – younger brother of Danny – and Alex Yearwood during the final 20 minutes, and the youngsters added welcome vitality to the Saints performance.

The duo soon combined to tee up Frendo for a shot that went comfortably wide.

Green won several challenges in midfield while Yearwood added genuine threat down the City left flank.

Two minutes from time Yearwood really put his stamp on the game when Frendo controlled his cross from the left and stretched to roll the ball past Ladyman for the second goal.

St Albans have been given a home tie in the quarter final when Hadley will make their first visit to Clarence Park for a First team fixture early in the New Year.
Powered by tplSoccerStats 2.3 © 2003 TPL Design
Free Counter