css drop down menu by Css3Menu.com

Welcome to saintsstatistics.co.uk - this site lists every match St Albans City F.C. has played since it’s formation in 1908.
We are slowly adding each player’s appearances. If you can help with any information on past players please email us at markajones69@icloud.com.

Change:  Move to:
24.11.2001 @ 15:00 Clarence Park Attendance : 502
St Albans City
3 - 1
Braintree Town
Referee : James Evamy Ryman Premier League-Match

Mike Bignall (47)
Gary Wraight (79)
Rob Kean (90)
Tommy Noble (44)
Starting Line-ups
Richard Wilmot
Jon Rattle
Corey Campbell
Derek Brown
Ryan Moran
Rob Smith
Richard Evans
Gary Wraight
Jimmy Sugrue
Simon Martin
Mike Bignall
Paul Catley
Brett Girling
Craig Davidson
Gavin Cowan
Gary Waters
Robbie Reinelt
Nicky Simpson
Dean Parratt
Tommy Noble
Nicky Smith
Mark Jones
Danny Honeyball
Tom Upsher
Rob Kean
Brad Quinton
Andrew Potter
Leon Gutzmore
Rob Kean -> Jimmy Sugrue (71)
Brad Quinton -> Nicky Simpson (62)
Andrew Potter -> Brad Quinton (86)
Leon Gutzmore -> Tommy Noble (76)
Yellow cards
Mike Bignall (21)
Red cards
None. None
Match report
It seems a long while since we were here at Clarence Park and I'm pleased to see that they haven't stripped the lead from the roof. Chaos reigns off the pitch but on it today, it's league action and the visit of Braintree, promoted from Division 1 last season. They won their first 5 games to top the table early on and they are now in 3rd place with 37 points, 7 points behind leaders Canvey Island. City are in 9th spot with 28 points. A big game.
For today, The Dynamic Duo selected Wilmot in goal, 3 at the back: Moran, Brown and Campbell; 5 in the middle: Wraight, Sagrue, Evans, Smith and Rattle; and 2 up front: Martin and Bignall. On the bench were Honeyball, Rob Kean (from Hitchin) and Tom Upsher (from somewhere else - I don't know everything).
It was a strange first half. City played a lot of very good football, but each move seemed to break down when a half-chance or the rare chance was not converted and the game didn't 'flow'. The referee's whistle was used regularly and the visiting goalkeeper was not really tested. The Saints played the football, had the possession and created enough to be a goal or two to the good by half-time, but with a minute to go Braintree took the lead when a half chance was hit hard by Noble to Wilmott's left, who did well to
get a hand to the ball but could not keep it out. 0-1. H.T.
There is great spirit in this Saints team and they started the second half where they left the first. Good skilful football, using the wide men well and looking threatening. 10 minutes or so after the interval, Bignal controlled the ball well 5 yards outside the area, beat one man and hit a powerful, precise shot high to the keepers left. Fine goal. 1-1. Sugrue was injured and was replaced by Rob Kean. Within 10 minutes, City took the lead when a Smith free-kick from the left found Wraight unmarked outside the box who took it in and beat the keeper. 2-1. Braintreee were well contained by the City defence
with Moran in particular having a fine game.Up front, Martin holds the ball up well and Bignall continued to create problems for the visitors. 10 minutes from time, The Saints wrapped the game up when, after crisp passing on the left a long ball to the right found Kean who scored from an acute angle.
another good goal. 3-1. F.T.
The attendance was 502 with perhaps 120 or so having made the trip from Essex. The match was sponsored by 5 local companies who must have drunk the Boardroom dry, and they awarded the Safeway MotM to Bignal. Few would argue with that choice. They saw a fine Saints performance and a lot of good football. Braintree were disappointing. Their No.5, Gary Waters played well, but their midfield didn't get into the game and former Saint, Robbie Reinelt, a talented player, had a quiet day. With Canvey Island and Aldershot the only teams above City to win today, Saints move up to eighth in the table.
None of the company Directors were at the game today, and congratulations are in order to all of those supporters behind the scenes particularly Leigh Paige for supplying a new amplifier for the P.A. system this morning, before leaving to attend a family wedding this afternoon, and Ian Rogers who
arranged the 3 hostesses for the Boardroom at short notice, and others who ensured that the game was played.

Entertainment 9/10. Atmosphere 8/10. Technical Merit 8/10. Referee 6/10.

Next up. Away at Chesham on Tuesday evening for the first round of the Ryman League Cup, and away next Saturday, December 1st at Canvey Island for the second round of the F.A Trophy. Cup fever grips the City. We won't be back at Clarence Park until Boxing Day. I hope that the lead is still on the roof.

Report by Homer
Powered by tplSoccerStats 2.3 © 2003 TPL Design
Free Counter