Prior to the start of their twelfth season, St. Albans held their annual meeting in the Council Chamber at the Town Hall on the 5th September. The meeting began with just a small number of members in attendance but as the evening wore on the numbers grew considerably, thus convincing the officials of the interest in the club.

Hon. Secretary, John William Sharpe junior, reported on the previous season's achievements on the field before turning to the financial position about which he said the deficiency was £3, this was felt to be satisfactory. The club, however, were far from happy with the cost of playing in the County Cup. Sharpe stressed that the Association was in a buoyant position financially but it had been achieved at the expense of the member clubs. Despite playing in two well-attended County Cup matches with West Herts – both of which attracted gates of around 2,000 – during the 1891-92 season, the Saints made a loss from the competition of £2 13s 6d, whilst the Association recorded a healthy profit.

The club also believed it lost around £6 from income had they played other matches instead of County Cup ties. James Ball had received a letter from the Watford club on the same subject and it was agreed that both clubs, along with Hoddesdon, as the senior clubs in the county, would approach the Association seeking an amendment to the rules to ensure that clubs competing in the County Cup did not suffer a financial loss. The Association accepted the point made and amended the rules so that the teams competing in the semi-finals and final would, along with the Herts F.A., receive an equal share of any profits.

With regards to the deficit of £3, this was money owing to Charles Woollam for the use of Holywell Hill and this had to be cleared before the start of the new season if the club were to continue playing on the same site.

Original colours abandoned

One surprising decision was to abandon the kit colours of amber and blue, instead the Saints turned out in amber and black. However, it was not unusual for the players to use their own kit and the team to turn out in a variety of different colours. The club also had a new captain with Sharpe adding that role to his secretarial duties. Mike Sharp was elected vice-captain. Other appointments at the AGM saw Jack Dickerson promoted to Assistant Hon. Sec., Mayor Mr W. Hitchcock appointed president and to replace the loss of two vice-presidents who died during the previous year invitations to fill those positions were despatched to Mr Vicary Gibbs MP, Mr Bingham Cox, Mr Morgan Harvey and Mr Charles Woollam. Fred Gentle was to continue as the referee for home matches.

Whilst the Saints fixture list once again consisted of little more than friendlies, the league to which they were attracted but ultimately decided against, The Southern Alliance League, got underway with seven clubs taking part. Unfortunately, the league was not a great success with only three clubs fulfilling their twelve fixtures. At the time a halt was called to the season Old St. Stephens topped the table followed by Erith, Tottenham Hotspur, Polytechnic, Slough, Windsor & Eton and Upton Park. The league was not in existence come the start of the following campaign.

Herts County Cup Success

Back in St. Albans, the desire to lift the County Cup for the first time was as strong as ever. In the 1st Round, on 28th January, the Saints faced the daunting prospect of a trip to Hoddesdon. To get across the county the players travelled by train to Broxbourne where they were transported by carriages to the Salisbury Hotel, it was here they changed into their football kit. The game itself was described as tough but gentlemanly and it was a successful one for the Saints who clinched a place in the last four with goals from Ernie Sharpe, James Dickson and Aubrey More.

For the 3-2 win over Hoddesdon St. Albans had Wagstaffe Simmons in their side but he did not feature in the XI that faced Watford St. Mary’s in the semi-final on 25th February. The two clubs had met on eight previous occasions in friendly matches down the years with the best the Watford club achieving being a 2-2 draw. Their fortunes did not improve in the Cup as, with a goal apiece from Dickson and Sidney Stanley and a hat-trick from Sandford Moore, the Saints breezed through to their third appearance in the final. Despite St. Albans’ comfortable victory conditions were far from ideal as overnight frost melted in the sunshine leaving the playing surface heavy and slippery. To assist the goalkeepers in obtaining a decent footing large amounts of sawdust were deposited in both goalmouths.

 1893 Herts Senior Cup Winners St AlbansJD 129 SA HSCf teamWith West Herts not competing in the County Cup this season it was felt that the winners of the St. Albans and Hoddesdon tie would go on to win the competition and the Saints emphatic victory over St. Mary’s seemed to endorse the point. The West Herts Association, consisting of four players from the Sunnyside Club, five from Apsley and two from King’s Langley, made their way through to the final on 25th March by virtue of a 2-0 replay win over Hitchin in the semi-final. St. Albans also relied on a number of ‘outsiders’ with five of their team coming from St. George’s School.

This was the first time that the final had been staged in Watford. About 500 St. Albans supporters went to game on trains that left the Abbey Station at 2.05pm and 3.13pm. Many others went by road. 

 St. Albans were without two players that they had intended to include in the final. Alf Miskin, tragically, suffered a broken leg at work on the Monday before the final, while Wagstaffe Simmons picked up an injury a week earlier against the 2nd Coldstream Guards and was ruled out for the rest of the season. Both players were, however, at Watford to see the final.

The Association won the toss of the coin and chose which end to attack (the park end) while St. Albans, through Sandford Moore, took the kick-off. Moore was soon to take another kick-off as the West Herts Association took the lead only to have it extinguished by the redoubtable Moore. The Association seemed to have given their all during the first half and struggled to stay in contention after the break. Sidney Stanley headed the Saints into the lead, Moore extended it and was then provider as Stanley completed the 4-1 win.


 After J.W. Sharpe received the cup from C.H. Little and gave a short speech, in which he declared the moment as the proudest in the history of the St. Albans club, the winners posed for photographs before heading back to celebrate the success at their familiar watering hole of the Crystal Palace. Unfortunately tracing these photographs has proved unsuccessful.

 One photo that has survived from that day is this magnificent action shot. It appears to be the St. Albans players, resplendent in their new colours, celebrating one of their four goals (full details at the end of this season’s review).

West Herts Ass. v SA March 1893 HSCf2West Herts Association v St Albans. Herts Senior Cup 1893

The rest of the season

St. Albans had kicked off their twelfth season back on 24th September when Upton United suffered the second of their three, and increasingly large (3-1, 5-1, 9-2), defeats at the Grammar School Ground. George Goodliffe helped himself to a hat-trick on the second Saturday of the season as London Caledonians were crushed 8-2 at the Grammar School Ground. George’s brother Will had a less enjoyable afternoon. Taking a knock on the knee inside the opening minute he was virtually a passenger for the rest of the game.

Stratford Town paid their only visit to St. Albans on 8th October and went home smarting from a 5-0 defeat. The east London club arrived with just nine men and played the 90 minutes one man short after getting a substitute to fill one of the gaps.

On a day when his brother made his final appearance of the season, George Goodliffe maintained his record of scoring in every game played so far this season when putting the ball into the back of the Hitchin net six times during a 9-2 romp at Holywell Hill. Hitchin could claim mitigating circumstances after their goalkeeper failed to appear and their linesman was drafted in to make up the numbers. With four games played St. Albans had conceded just five goals and scored 27, a dozen of which had been scored by one player, George Goodliffe.

 Vulcans James SchoolbredThe winning run was the Saints equal best start to a season during their existence but Vulcans denied this set of players a fifth straight win when securing a 2-2 draw at the Grammar School Ground on 22nd October, the 12th anniversary of the first game played by the home club. Vulcans were staff of the furniture markers, James Shoolbred & Co. Ltd in Tottenham Court Road.

Maples 1One week after welcoming the employees of one furniture maker from Tottenham Court Road, the Grammar School played host to the footballing staff of John Blundell Maple’s furniture store, also of Tottenham Court Road playing under the name of Clarence. Unfortunately for the men from Maples, St. Albans had a strong XI that day, including a first appearance of the season for Sandford Moore, and ran out comfortable 5-2 winners.

The unbeaten start to the season ended on 5th November when the Clapton-based Orion Gymnasium won 1-0 at Holywell Hill with a late goal. St. Albans had a new face, J. McCulloch, at full-back and the match report went to great lengths to describe the problems facing the player. ‘McCulloch was handicapped by not knowing his colleagues in the team, even by sight, and the variety of costumes affected by the home club did not mend matters. Moreover, he is a Rugby player, having at one time done duty for the Dewsbury club of that persuasion, and when he does play Association his place is at half-back not back. The last of his difficulties, but not the least, was the boots he wore. They were borrowed and were about two sizes too large. In spite of all this he worked hard and proved himself very useful on several occasions.’

St. Albans played their first away game on the season on the 12th and were comprehensively beaten 4-1 by St. George’s College (the reports sometimes called St. George’s a School and other times a College). Due to St. Albans arriving in Harpenden with an extra player, the game was made 12-a-side. Seven of the home team played for St. Albans at one time or other with Aubrey More and Sandford Moore being responsible for two of St. George’s goals.

Moore (2) and More (1) were on the scoresheet again the following weekend but this time for the Saints as Fulham went down to a 3-2 defeat at Holywell Hill. Fred Gentle had a rest as referee for this game with hon. secretary John Sharpe taking the whistle.

The 2nd Coldstream Guards were due to have visited St. Albans on 26th November but an ‘accident’ led to them sending a telegram to cancel on the Saturday morning. Due to heavy rain it was thought unlikely that the match would have gone ahead had they made the journey in any case.

John Blundell Maple Knighted by Queen Victoria

 JBM Coat of ArmsJohn Blundell Maple had no direct connection to the football club at this time but was a significant figure within the district. He had owned and lived at Childwickbury Manor since 1883, from where he ran a successful stud, created the Sister’s Hospital in St. Albans, that opened on 6th July 1893 at a personal cost of £7,000, in 1894 he presented Clarence Park to the citizens of St. Albans and, since 1887, had been the Conservative Member of Parliament for Dulwich. On 2nd December 1892 he was knighted by Queen Victoria at Windsor Castle. Left: The Coat of Arms for Sir John Blundell Maple.

On the day following Blundell Maple receiving his knighthood, Guy’s Hospital enjoyed a successful visit to the Grammar School Ground, winning 3-2. With the scores level at 2-2 John Sharpe, restored to the team, scored direct from a free kick but with no other player having touched the ball the ‘goal’ was disallowed.

St. Albans were without a game on the 10th and 17th of December but Charles Bennett and the much-admired Aubrey More, both members of St. Albans and St. George’s School, kept themselves busy when appearing for London side Crusaders on those dates. The Crusaders were one of the oldest clubs in the south of the country, founded in 1863 they were original members of the Football Association. The Saints had intended to play Polytechnic on the 17th but the London side wanted a guarantee to play the game. Poly had charged Luton Town £15 for a recent game. They asked for a lower figure for coming to St. Albans but the Saints declined. The two clubs did meet four times in subsequent years.

I1891 92 EN SharpeErnest Northern Sharpen a Herts Advertiser editorial, there was criticism of a lack of support on matchdays from local tradesmen. The author of that piece was given his answer at the next match when one told him that they cannot get to Saturday matches due to working on that day. The point was put to the reporter that the club should look at playing some games on Thursday afternoons, that day being early closing in the district.

The club played three games over a cold and wet Christmas, kicking off with a 3-2 defeat at home to Woolwich Alliance League leaders Olympians on Christmas Eve. On Boxing Day, a Monday, the Saints defeated Plumstead side Borstal Rovers 3-2 at Holywell Hill in front of a crowd of over 600. The visitors set off with eleven players but, somewhere along the way, one of them got on a wrong train and never did make it to St. Albans, as a consequence Borstal played with just ten men. The weather was said to have been bitterly cold on the 27th and was certainly not to the liking of Upton United who were trounced 9-2 with Ernest Northern Sharpe (left) scoring his only hat-trick in a known 187 games for the Saints.

Heavy frosts and then waterlogged pitches led to St. Albans having to wait until 21st January for their next game when they faced fellow St. Albans side City Rovers at St. Stephen’s. The Rovers put up a spirited showing but went down 5-2 with C.T. Moon scoring his only two goals in seven appearances for the Saints.

Although Jack Dickerson played in the County Cup tie against Hoddesdon on 28th January, he missed the friendly against City Rovers and the two after the Hoddesdon game, against 2nd Battalion Coldstream Guards and the Grenadier Guards, due to the sudden death of his father at Hertford.

Goal-nets introduced to St. Albans football

Jack Stevens scored three of the goals during the 4-1 win over Coldstream Guards on 4th March but it was not enough to save him from a less than flattering review in the Herts Advertiser. ‘Stevens was entirely off-colour, and had he not scored some goals he would have been a failure.’ This was the first match in which the goals at the Grammar School Ground had nets attached. A collection was taken around the ground for spectators to contribute towards the cost of the nets and the exercise was due to be repeated for the visit of St. Mary’s Hospital the following week. Unfortunately, St. Mary’s, at late notice, scratched the fixture.

There were mitigating circumstances in a 6-1 defeat that the Saints had inflicted upon them by the 3rd Grenadier Guards on the 18th. Tom Smith, standing in for Dickerson, injured himself during the week and did not have full mobility in goal, while C.T. Moon picked up an injury soon after the start of the game. W. Cooper gave the home side an interval lead but, with a strong wind to their backs, the Guards took control after the break.

Following victory over Watford St. Mary’s in the semi-final of the County Cup, St. Albans played three more friendly matches before facing West Herts Association in the final towards the end of March. 

London Caledonians made their second visit of the season to Holywell Hill on 4th March and with six changes from the first meeting – St. Albans showed seven changes – ran out 5-4 winners having lost 8-2 in October. One week later and Vulcans, too, made a return trip to the Grammar School Ground and improved upon their previous result of 2-2 to chalk up a 1-0 win. As with the previous week, it was a goal with virtually the last kick of the game that consigned the Saints to defeat.

St. Albans warmed up for the county cup final in perfect fashion with Sidney Stanley striking his highest tally in a single game for the club, four, during a 6-2 win over Casuals at the Grammar School Ground on the 18th March. It was a particularly chilly afternoon and the attendance was in the region of 300, whereas 600 had attended the previous home game on what was described as an unusually warm spring day.

Having collected the county cup at the end of March, John Sharpe brought the season to a more than satisfactory conclusion on Easter Monday, 3rd April, when scoring four times as the 3rd Grenadier Guards were soundly beaten 4-0 at Holywell Hill. The Saints were due to have played two days earlier but awarded themselves a day off after winning the cup and, instead, headed off to Richmond to see England beat Scotland 5-2 at the Athletic Ground in Old Deer Park.

 The Saints season may have been over but Sharpe, along with his brother Ernest, and Mike Sharp, Dickerson and Dickson, all still had one fixture to fulfil, on 12th April, as they turned out at Watford for the County F.A. against Surrey. The Hertfordshire XI went down 3-1 and for J.W. Sharpe it was a particularly frustrating afternoon as he had two goals disallowed including one direct from an indirect free kick. Hertfordshire's solitary goal, in front of a paltry attendance of around 100, was scored by the Hoddesdon forward J. Gardiner following a cross by Ernie Sharpe. The game was the only Hertfordshire match of the season.

Proposal of a new recreation ground in St. Albans

This was very much a landmark season in the Saints history as, in late September, the council began discussing a proposal put forward by the St. Albans-based Dulwich Member of Parliament John Blundell Maple that he, as the owner of an area that would encompass Clarence Park , should give that piece of land to the people of St. Albans to be used as a recreation park. The possibility of St. Albans, as the senior football club in the city, moving to Clarence Park was also talked about at length during the club’s annual dinner at the Bell Hotel, Chequer Street, on 4th April, although the topic had first been talked about openly by the club back in September. At that point, the former club captain, James Dickson, suggested the club write to Blundell Maple regarding the possibility of the football club being housed at Clarence Park . It was generally felt that as the oldest club in the city St. Albans would be granted first refusal on the new ground, but Alfred Herbert Debenham, who chaired the meeting, decided there was no need just yet to make contact with the M.P.

Reference to Clarence Park was also made in relation to the Annual Whit Monday Sports which in future years were to be staged at the new sports ground. Alfred Debenham, in hoping that Clarence Park would be the venue, said the sports would be held on track which, he believed, would be second to none in England. In fact he went further than that (it is worth bearing in mind that by now the dinner had long since disappeared and been washed down with no shortage of liquid refreshment) and proclaimed that, so far as he could see, the progress made on the recreation ground indicated every probability of a cricket ground and athletic and cycle track equal to any in England, and probably the world.

In between the numerous toasts proposed during the evening, a member of the clubs committee, Mr J. McLarty spoke mockingly of the proposed tunnel to go under the English Channel. Throughout the evening the County Cup was displayed proudly on the top table. The chairman made particular reference to the assistance in winning the cup given by the Harpenden-based players, Sandford Moore and Sidney Stanley. Moore replied by stating what a pleasure it would be for him to return to the school (St. George’s) and tell the head-master (Rev R.H. Wix) how thankful the club are in allowing him to let the Harpenden lads play. Moore added that he would be the first to congratulate the club on the day they win the cup with a side containing only St. Albans born players but for as long the club wanted the Harpenden players they would willingly turn out for the club.

Sisters Hospital presented to the city

During the summer following the close of the 1892-93 season, Blundell Maple was again in the news and received the gracious thanks of the city by his donation of the Sisters Hospital, this was constructed for the inhabitants of St. Albans who were suffering from infectious diseases. The M.P. felt compelled to fund the building of the hospital after losing two of his daughters - Winifred and Dorothy - to scarlet fever. There was not an official opening ceremony for the hospital. Sir John was ill at the time that the building was opened and the Mayor received the keys from Alderman Miskin during a tea party to celebrate the wedding of the Duke of York and Princess May on 6th July 1893.

Sisters Hospital

 The hospital consisted of an administration block and an infectious diseases block, it stood between Folly Lane and Union Lane, the latter of which is better known these days as Normandy Road. It was situated on much the same land as that of the St. Albans City Hospital although slightly to the south-west of the main buildings. The Sisters Hospital originally encompassed three buildings, and two of these not only survived but were renovated at the start of the 21st century when the main hospital site was redeveloped into the Maple Heights housing estate. To commemorate the construction of the hospital this plaque was inserted into the outer wall of the main block;

Stanville win the Bingham Cox Cup

This was the most successful season yet for the club and it was also an important season for St. Albans football generally as it saw the birth of the Bingham Cox Cup. The Bingham Cox went on to be a firm fixture in the St. Albans football calendar with the final played at Clarence Park each year except for the first two seasons when the final took place at the Grammar School Ground. The competition was the brainchild of Mr William Henry Bingham-Cox and his desire for there to be a cup for the junior clubs came to fruition during a meeting at the Temperance Hotel, London Road, on 12th September 1892.

 Rule number one stipulated that all competing clubs must fall within a six-mile radius of St. Albans Town Hall. The cost to clubs for entering the competition was fixed at 5s. The new cup went on show in St. Albans for the first time at Market Cross in Bingham Cox store a week before the final which took place on Easter Monday, 3rd April. Messrs Elkington & Co Ltd of Regents Street London crafted the cup. The final was contested by City Rovers and Stanville (below) who drew 1-1 with the latter winning the replay 3-0 at the same venue the following Saturday. In years to come the competition was to be integrated with the Mid Herts League and although still known as the Bingham Cox Cup it was also referred to as the Mid Herts League Cup.

Stanville 1893Stanville FC

County Cup Final Photograph

David Tavener recalls.

The wonderful photograph from the County Cup final was kept under wraps at the old St. Albans museum in Hatfield Road. From what I can recall, we were in discussions at the time regarding the possibility of the museum running a display of memorabilia in connection to the latter-day St. Albans City Football Club. Peter Taylor was contacted by the ‘Keeper of Community History’ (a lady by the name of Eleanor) to say that they had this photograph that was on a glass plate and had a note attached to it. The details on the note were vague and said simply; ‘West Herts Annunciation vs St Albans 1893.’ 

These details were just sufficient to identify it as the Hertfordshire County Cup Final between the West Herts Association and St. Albans. 

The photo is highly evocative with the crowd all smartly attired, complete with hats. The gentleman to the right seems to be taking his life in his hands, bring perched in such a precarious position on the fence. 

It is a great pity that the players in the photo are not named but, looking at the kits, it would appear that St. Albans’ have just scored one of their four goals. The copy shown here is exactly as it appeared on the glass plate with the arch effect at the top. The Hatfield Road museum opened in 1898 and closed in September 2015. 

1892-93 Season Line-ups

Sep 24 Fr UPTON UNITED (H) W 5 - 1 Dickerson J Mardall F Miskin A Sharp EM Simmons GW Smith WH Tidman (1) Reynolds FE Sharpe EN (1) Dickson JW (1) Goodliffe W (2)
Oct 1 Fr LONDON CALEDONIANS (H) W 8 - 2 Dickerson J Mardall F Miskin A Sharp EM Bennett CW (1) Dickson JW Sharpe EN Sharpe JW (2) Goodliffe G (3) More AH (2) Goodliffe W
Oct 8 Fr STRATFORD TOWN (H) W 5 - 0 Dickerson J Mardall F (1) Miskin A Sharp EM Smith T Bangley LW Sharpe EN Sharpe JW (2) Goodliffe G (1) Reynolds FE More AH (1)
Oct 15 Fr HITCHIN (H) W 9 - 2 Dickerson J Mardall F Miskin A Sharp EM Smith T Bangley LW Minns Goodliffe W Goodliffe G (6) Sharpe JW (2) Sharpe EN (1)
Oct 22 Fr VULCANS (H) D 2 - 2 Dickerson J Miskin A Mardall F Sharp EM (1) Sheldrake JR Smith WH Fowler H Mence H Goodliffe G Sharpe JW (1) Sharpe EN
Oct 29 Fr CLARENCE (H) W 5 - 2 Dickerson J Miskin A Mardall F Sharp EM Bennett CW Elliott HE Sharpe EN Moore SFP (1) Goodliffe G (1) Sharpe JW (2) More AH (1)
Nov 5 Fr ORION GYMNASIUM (H) L 0 - 1 Dickerson J Mardall F McCulloch J Smith WH Simmons GW Sheldrake JR Sharpe EN Sharpe JW Sharp EM Minns Reynolds FE Goodliffe G
Nov 12 Fr St. George's College (A) L 1 - 4 Dickerson J Mardall F Miskin A Smith WH Simmons GW Sheldrake JR Sharpe JW Paten RB Cooper W Sharpe EN Stevens J (1) Mence H
Nov 19 Fr FULHAM (H) W 3 - 2 Dickerson J Mardall F Miskin A Sharp EM Sheldrake JR Wetherall PJ Stanley SM Stevens J Moore SFP (2) More AH (1) Paten RB
Dec 3 Fr GUY'S HOSPITAL (H) L 2 - 3 Dickerson J Mardall F Miskin A Moon CT Cleworth JR Sheldrake JR Cooper W (1) Stevens J (1) Sharpe JW Sharpe EN Sharp EM
Dec 24 Fr OLYMPIANS (H) L 2 - 3 Dickerson J Mardall F Miskin A Sharp EM Cordeaux CM Simmons GW Dickson JW (1) Long T (1) Sharpe JW Cooper W Sharpe EN
Dec 26 Fr BOSTAL ROVERS (H) W 3 - 2 Dickerson J Mardall F Miskin A Sharp EM Long T Simmons GW Dickson JW Bacon R Sharpe JW Stevens J (1) Sharpe EN (2)
Dec 27 Fr UPTON UNITED (H) W 9 - 2 Dickerson J Mardall F Miskin A Sharp EM Long T Fowler H Sharpe EN (3) Bacon R (2) Dickson JW (1) Sharpe JW (1) Wheeler C (1)
Jan 21 Fr City Rovers (A) W 5 - 2 Gentle E Mardall F Miskin A Sharp EM Simmons GW Fowler H Sharpe EN Mence H (1) Dickson JW (1) Sharpe JW (1) Moon CT (2)
Jan 28 HSC1 Hoddesdon (A) W 3 - 2 Dickerson J Mardall F Miskin A Sharp EM Simmons GW Elliott HE Sharpe EN (1) Stanley SM Dickson JW (1) Sharpe JW More AH (1)
Feb 4 Fr 2nd COLDSTREAM GUARDS (H) W 4 - 1 Smith T Mardall F Miskin A Sharp EM Simmons GW Sheldrake JR Stevens J (3) Mence H (1) Sharpe JW Arnold H McCulloch J
Feb 18 Fr 3rd GRENADIER GUARDS (H) L 1 - 6 Smith T Mardall F Miskin A Moon CT Cordeau Sharp EM Deed JG Fowler H Cooper W (1) Sharpe JW Sharpe EN
Feb 25 HSCsf WATFORD ST. MARY'S (H) W 5 - 0 Dickerson J Mardall F Elliott HE Wetherall BGC Dickson JW (1) Sharp EM Sharpe EN Stanley SM (1) Moore SFP (3) Sharpe JW More AH
Mar 4 Fr LONDON CALEDONIANS (H) L 4 - 5 Dickerson J Mardall F Smith T Smith WH (1) Cleworth JR Sheldrake JR Mence H Stevens J (1) Beenham E (1) Sharpe JW Sharpe EN (1)
Mar 11 Fr VULCANS (H) L 0 - 1 Dickerson J Smith T Mardall F Sheldrake JR Smith WH Sharp EM Cleworth JR Mence H Beenham E Sharpe EN Sharpe JW
Mar 18 Fr CASUALS (H) W 6 - 2 Dickerson J Mardall F Francis J Smith T Sharp EM Sheldrake JR Sharpe EN Stanley SM (4) Moore SFP (1) Sharpe JW Arnold H (1)
Mar 25 HSCf West Herts Association (A) W 4 - 1 Dickerson J Mardall F Elliott HE Smith T Dickson JW Sharp EM Sharpe EN Stanley SM (2) Moore SFP (2) Sharpe JW More AH
Apr 3 Fr 3rd GRENADIER GUARDS (H) W 6 - 0 Dickerson J Spearing M Smith T Pearce H Sharp EM Heading FJ Sharpe EN (1) Sharpe JW (4) Day Arnold H Johnstone A (1)

Appearances & Goals

Herbert 'Bert' Arnold 3 1
R Bacon 2 2
Leonard William Bangley 2
E Beenham 2 1
Charles William Bennett 2 1
JR Cleworth 3
W Cooper 4 2
Rev CM Cordeaux 1
Day 1
JG Deed 1
Jack Dickerson 20
James William Dickson 9 6
Herbert Edward Elliott 4
H Fowler 4
Jock' Francis 1
E Gentle 1
George Goodliffe 6 11
Will Goodliffe 3 2
FJ Heading 1
A Johnstone 1 1
Tidman 1 1
Tom Long 3 1
Frank Mardall 22 1
J McCullock 2
H Mence 6 2
Minns 2
Alfred Miskin 16
CT Moon 3 2
Sandford Ffolliott Pierpoint Moore 5 9
Aubrey Hyndford More 7 6
RB Paten 2
H Pearce 1
Frank E Reynolds 3
Ernest Michael Mannock Sharp 21 1
Ernest Northern Sharpe 21 10
John William Sharpe junior 21 15
JR Sheldrake 10
George Wagstaffe Simmons 8
Tom Smith 9
William 'Rummy' H Smith 6 1
M Spearing 1
Sidney Margetts Stanley 5 7
Jack Stevens 6 7
Baron George Chilton Wetherall 1
PJ Wetherall 1
C Wheeler 1 1
Unknown Scorers 1
255 92