By the start of the 1893-94 season it was evident that football was moving forward at pace although St. Albans still had just five clubs within the district playing the game - St. Albans, Stanville, City Rovers, Verulam and the Abbey. Whilst St. Albans were resident at Holywell Hill, the other clubs played their home games at St. Michael's (Stanville - having left their previous home near the Hatfield Road cemetery at the end of the previous season), St. Stephen's (City Rovers) and Mr Jacob Reynolds' field in Lemsford Road (Verulam). Verulam, the most junior of the three clubs, held pre-season practice sessions at St. Peter's Park. St. Albans, Stanville and Verulam are all known to have also run Reserves sides this season.

For the second consecutive season the Saints altered their colours and completely abandoned the traditional amber and blue colours by now taking to the pitch exhibiting a kit of pink and black. Over the course of the next six seasons they were frequently referred to as the ‘Pinks’.

Further afield, Royal Arsenal turned professional some two years after Luton Town claimed to have done so, while 81 clubs put their names forward to partake in the first F.A. Amateur Cup competition. The idea of launching a cup for amateur clubs was first suggested by the Sheffield club in August 1892, despite arousing a good amount of support the proposal did not get off the ground. It was however, just a temporary delay and on 8th February of the following year the Football Association drew up rules for the F.A. Amateur Cup.

St. Albans did not contest the inaugural Amateur Cup competition but their fixture list, which saw them play 26 matches, brought them into contact with several of the leading sides of the day. Despite this the Saints were undefeated for the first 11 games of the season, eight of which were won. Of those 26 games, just one was a competitive fixture.

Mayor kick’s off the new season

Cecil H Aylen 1894 95Cecil H AylenAlderman James Fisk who, as Mayor of St. Albans was also the club president, took the first kick of the new season, on 23rd September against Clarence. Alderman Fisk ran a highly successful drapery business in the High Street that had been started by his father, William, in 1834. When James passed away on 24th June 1899 at the age of 62, his wife, Anne, continued to keep the business running until handing it over to their son William. The business operated from what was later to become Heritage Close with an extensive shop frontage in the High Street. Fisk’s had a connection with the latter-day City club in that they advertised in the St Albans City matchday programme during the 1920s.
Another notable face amongst the attendance of around 800 for the game against Clarence was the head constable. After the game that St. Albans won 3-1 on the back of goals from James Dickson, John Sharpe and Sandford Moore, the Mayor entertained the players at the Town Hall. One-week later Dickson scored again and a second goal from Ernest Northern Sharpe secured a 2-1 home win over London Caledonians.

The next two games produced 16 goals, kicking of with a 4-4 draw at the Grammar School Ground against Old St Stephens. The west London side, making their only visit to St. Albans, became founder members of the Southern League the following season. Four different players scored for the home side while in the following week’s 5-3 win over London side Stanley, Sandford Moore scored twice. John William Sharpe bagged a brace and Ernest Northern Sharpe scored for the third successive game.

In their fifth game of the season Jack Dickerson kept his first clean sheet as another goal by JW accounted for the 1st Grenadier Guards at the Grammar School Ground. An attendance of several hundred saw Dickson, Moore and Frank Mardall score during a 3-1 win over Woodville on 28th October but one of the loudest cheers of the afternoon was reserved for the reappearance of Cecil Aylen. The popular full-back had last been seen in a St. Albans shirt playing against Watford Rovers in the County Cup in March 1891. Aside from scoring his 66th goal for the club, Dickson had further cause for celebration as he had recently achieved a B.A. in Law at Exeter College in Oxford.

Five Saints in County team

For the second year running the Herts F.A. arranged just one county match, this took place at Watford on 1st November when London ‘A’ were the visitors. Jack Dickerson, F. Ware, Mike Sharp and Ernest Northern Sharpe represented St. Albans along with Sandford Moore who marked his final appearance for the county with the Hertfordshire goal in a 1-1 draw.

The unbeaten start to the season was extended to a seventh game when a goal by Ernest Northern Sharpe secured a 1-1 draw away to St. George’s. Occasional Saint Sidney Stanley scored for the school team.

Tom Smith 1891 92Tom SmithAccording to the match report, St. Albans Reserves were due to face Apsley in the 1st Round of the Herts Senior Cup on Saturday, 11th November, but, due to being unable to arrive in good time for a full-length match to be played, scratched from the competition and, instead played a friendly that Apsley won 4-2. Around half of the team were First team regulars. Dickerson was one of the First teamers to show up but he filled in on the left wing while a substitute, Cutler, went in goal. It was a bad day for defender Tom Smith (left) who collided with the Apsley forward Seagrave and suffered a broken collar bone. Smith did not play for the Saints again until October the following year. On the same day, the First XI had been due to play Vulcans but the latter scratched at late notice. The most curious point about the Aspley game is that on 4th September, at the A.G.M. of the Hertfordshire F.A. at the Bedford Head Hotel, was agreed that that St. Albans, along with previous winners West Herts and Hoddesdon, would be exempt until the semi-finals to allow smaller clubs to make progress.

Making their debut in the Herts Senior Cup was another side consisting of St. Albans based players as the St. Albans & District Association entered a side featuring nine players who had played in the Bingham Cox Cup final the previous season for either Stanville or City Rovers. The Association fell at the first hurdle when a goal from Stanville’s H. Morley could not stave off a 3-1 defeat away to Ware Town.

The Saints returned to the Grammar School Ground the following Saturday to welcome King’s College Hospital for a friendly that started under the worst conditions that a winter’s storm could bring. The Hertfordshire Standard described the conditions in this manner; ‘No spectators had ventured tither, but, when the teams had lined up, about thirty “enthusiasts” donned their waterproofs and came on to the ground, but sought protection from the blast under the friendly pavilion or the neighbourly fence.’

The Herts Advertiser reporter equally regretted his decision to venture out and was surprised to see that he was not alone. ‘There were even a few spectators on the scene. Enthusiasm for football is not waning in St. Albans. Standing close under the fence at the top of the ground, to shield themselves from the ferocious wind and driving hail and snow, were to be seen adherents of the winter game, and doubtless they wished, as did I, that they stayed at home.’ A halt was called to proceedings ten minutes before half time when the visitors had cancelled out Aubrey More’s opening goal for the Pinks.

A tough game was anticipated with North Kent at St. Albans on 25th November but the visitors arrived short of players and were loaned two locals. Within thirty seconds of the kick-off Reynolds had put through his own net to set the Saints on their way to a 4-1 win in conditions that were scarcely an improvement from the previous week.

Everton offer to St. Albans goalkeeper Dickerson

The Pinks enjoyed another three-goal success at the start of December when the Civil Service were seen off 3-0 on the 2nd. Dickerson had the pleasure of securing his second clean sheet of the season but he could have been playing in far more imposing surroundings. The Saints ‘keeper had been catching the eye of several professional clubs with his performance and Everton had hoped to secure his services for a game against Wrexham. ‘Dicky’ had turned down Everton’s off on the grounds of the date of the game being difficult for West Herts player Charlie Wheeler, who had also been selected. Dickerson had stated that he had no intention of turning professional, but Everton would be back with another offer after the turn of the year.

Wheeler did actually make nine appearances for St. Albans, the penultimate one of which was during a 2-1 win over St. Bartholomew’s Hospital at the Grammar School Ground on the 9th December. He had been due to play for West Herts that day but their match against Guy’s Hospital was called off. His final game for the Saints was more than four years away.

Casuals had been due to visit St. Albans on the 16th but the south London club withdrew at late notice, leaving the Saints without a fixture. The Grammar School pitch was offered to Stanville who, to entertain the anticipated crowd, arranged to play Hertford. Included in the Hertford side were Hod Paul and Jack Dickerson (the latter in an outfield position), while in the Stanville side were Ernest Northern Sharpe, James Dickson and occasional St. Albans player Bert Arnold. Stanville won 5-1 with Dickson claiming a hat-trick that included a spectacular solo effort, while Sharpe bagged two goals.

Football hooliganism reared its ugly head on 23rd December following the home game with Caledonian Athletic. The match was a far from flowing exhibition of how the game should be played but, courtesy of Sandford Moore’s final hat-trick for the club, St. Albans won 3-1.

Jock Francis 1894 95Jock FrancisDuring the game Jock Francis (left), the St. Albans forward, received an accidental kick from the Athletic goalkeeper Emslie. Such was the innocuous nature of the incident that Francis did not even appeal for a foul but one individual amongst the crowd saw the matter in a different light and at the final whistle struck Emslie quite forcibly on his head. The reporter for the Hertfordshire Standard was scathing in his condemnation of the assault; '...a biased individual, known amongst the lower class of spectators (who congregate upon the field for the purpose of causing a disturbance), as "spider," possessing anything but the nature of so small a member of the Arachnida class, interested himself in the matter, to the extent of committing a most cowardly assault, by striking Emslie a tremendous blow on the side of the head, quite unawares. The unfortunate victim fell unconscious to the ground, whilst an excited mob collected around the other members of the "Calies" team. Emslie was carried off in a senseless condition, whilst a number of police and members of the St. Albans club did their best to disperse the mob.'

Just to make matters worse, as Emslie was being helped to the dressing room – the Crystal Palace public house some distance away in London Road – by William Warby he too was attacked and struck. Later that evening football club officials held an emergency meeting at which the club agreed to bear the costs in taking legal action against the assailant. Although possibly comforting in one sense, it is somewhat disconcerting to note a report on Emslie's condition the following Tuesday, Boxing Day, stated that he was out of danger.

Clapham Rovers end the unbeaten record

Having taken the unbeaten run into Christmas it was surrendered on Boxing Day when Clapham Rovers gained their only win in four visits to the Grammar School Ground. An ‘exceptionally’ large crowd attended what was said to be an exciting game that ended with the visitors victorious by three goals to two. Playing at full back for the Rovers, and organising the team, was St. Albans old boy Cecil Aylen. Aylen, one of just seven players to make more than 100 appearances for the original St Albans club, played in a handful more of the Saints matches before the season was over.

The final game of 1893 ended in a 1-1 draw with the 3rd Grenadier Guards at a cold Holywell Hill. With pitch freezing up the players broke off just a short break at half time. St Albans were due to kick off the New Year with a home game against Olympians on the 6th January but the cold weather persisted throughout the week and the game was called off due to frozen pitch.

Local football kicked back into life on the 13th with the visit of Guy’s Hospital to the Grammar School Ground. Aylen was back to help the local but played at centre half-back instead of his usual full-back position. Corporal Giddens scored in his one game for the club and E. Ware, with a brace, scored his first goals for the Saints. Mike Sharp completed the St. Albans tally in a 4-4 draw.

 Dickerson plays in front of 6,000 at Goodison Park

Everton Rovers 6 0 NantwichEverton Rovers 6-0 Nantwich

JD 215b Everton Rovers 6 0 Nantwich

Making his one appearance for the club against Guy’s was goalkeeper H.C. Andrews who was called up due to the unavailability of Jack Dickerson. On the day before the game Dicky had hopped on a train with Charlie Wheeler bound for Liverpool. The duo had accepted an invitation to play for Everton in a Reserve team match against Nantwich at Goodison Park. Dicky had a relatively quiet afternoon as Everton won 6-0 in front of a crowd of around 6,000, while Charlie, who scored 38 goals in 76 games for West Herts, did himself no harm in setting up either two or three of the goals. It was Dickerson’s only game for the Toffeemen.

JD 151 v Everton

JD 151 Everton 6 0 Nantwich

Even with Dickerson back between the posts for the next game, St. Albans shipped four goals for the second successive match but managed to beat the Malvern Vagabonds 5-4 at the Grammar School Ground. Two local substitutes had to be found for the Vagabonds due to them arriving a couple of players short, and, for a short while, St. Albans also fielded a substitute due to Frank Mardell’s late arrival at the ground. The Herts Advertiser reporter gave an unusual description of how Horace (Hod) Paul blew his whistle to get the game underway, ‘Referee Paul gave a solo on the official instrument…’ John Sharpe scored one of the goals but was pretty much a spectator for most of the game due to having an extremely sore knee after stumbling on a stone whilst attempting to catch a train at Euston Station two days before the game. The report states that James Dickson was the captain yet Dickerson was involved in the toss-up. H.C. Andrews, who filled in for Dickerson the previous week, was back with Hertford for a County Cup tie this week but could not save his side from a 3-0 defeat at Apsley.

On the final Saturday in January the Saints found goals easy to come by as Sandford Moore scored twice and Jock Francis struck a hat-trick during a 7-0 win over King’s College Hospital. Moore had missed the opening few minutes of the game due to the train that he and team mate F. Ware were on was running late. While there was nothing unusual in seeing Moore’s name on the scoresheet it must be said that on this occasion, he played the entire game in normal walking boots. The King’s were making a return visit to the city after the initial meeting in December was abandoned in the face of a blizzard.

Francis added a brace to his tally the following Saturday as the 2nd Coldstream Guards went down 4-3 at Holywell Hill. St. Albans went into the game without Moore, Ware, Stanley and the injured J.W. Sharpe, and were handicapped by an injury to full-back H. Mence that rendered him of limited use for more than an hour. This was the third of five games that the Coldstreams played at St. Albans and one suspects that the Herts Advertiser reporter would not have been upset had this been their final visit:

JD 190 SA 4 3 Coldstream Guards Roughness

He may have been against drawing attention to the play of the opposition on principle but criticising the opposition for the roughness of their play was a common theme of his notes.

St. Albans had been due to face a side called Minerva (from Ladywell, Lewisham) on 10th February but due to the opposition having a cup tie that day the Saints squared up against Wood Green side Bowes Park instead. Although the game contained seven goals, St. Albans won 4-3, the match report states that it was the most uninteresting game so far this season.

Chesham had been due to visit St. Albans on the 17th but cried off at late notice. To provide football at the Grammar School Ground that day, City Rovers were offered the opportunity to play there. Rovers attempted to fix up a game against Hertford but the county town side were unable to raise an XI. However, after several months of inactivity, St. Albans Reserves kicked back into life with a game at Elstree on a day of torrential rain and a howling gale. Several First team players put in an appearance including Jack Dickerson. One of his kicks was made with such force that the ball burst and, with that being the only ball at the ground, the game came to a premature conclusion with the two sides all square.

Three days later, John Sharpe and Dickerson were present at a Herts F.A. meeting at the Bedford Head Hotel, to oversee the draw for the semi-final of the Herts Senior Cup. St. Albans were drawn at home to West Herts, while the West Herts Association were drawn at home to Hoddesdon.

 Clapton handed the Saints their second defeat of the season the 24th with the inhabitants of the Old Spotted Dog Ground winning 3-2 at Holywell Hill. This was classed as Clapton’s ‘A’ team due to the First XI facing London Caledonians that day in a cup tie. Sandford Moore scored one of the goals and he was also on target in the Saints next match, unfortunately though, it was for the opposition as a visit was made to St. Georges School in Harpenden. Sidney Stanley was also on target for the school. A.J. Brickwell, who also played for Crouch End, scored two of the St. Albans goals, as did Harry Laughton. This was Laughton’s third match for the club and he became a familiar face in the side over the next couple of years. Nicknamed ‘Daddy,’ Laughton had spent eight years with Crouch End and also played for Middlesex and London Reserves.


Crowds flock to St. Albans for County Cup tie

JD 202 SA 2 3 West Herts opening of report Watford Obs

On 3rd March, almost six months after the first game of the season, St. Albans played their first, and what turned out to be the final, competitive game of the season when West Herts were the visitors to the Grammar School Ground in the County Cup. The St. Albans press believed that home team to be a superior XI but the Watford Leader newspaper cast doubt on this assertion and were proven justified as West Herts won 3-2 after generally holding the upper hand throughout. The hold on the cup of the Pink and Blacks had been ended by the Yellow and Amber of West Herts.

The attendance was estimated at getting on for 3,000 with three trainloads of supporters having made the short journey from Watford to the Abbey Station. It was the largest crowd to have attended a match in the county up to this time. The Leader gave mention to the excitement of the crowd and of top hats being thrown with gay abandon; ‘hats were thrown into the air and some picked up other peoples – if they were better ones.’

No mocking funereal cards were made this time by supporters of the visiting side, but they ‘lustily’ belted out the following refrain during the closing stages of the game.

JD 197 SA 2 3 West Herts Watford Leader SA are defunct

With their cup hopes shattered, St. Albans returned to playing friendly matches on 10th March with Vampires, of Crouch End, paying their first visit to Holywell Hill. The locals slipped to a third defeat in four games as Vampires had the distinction of being the only side to stop St. Albans scoring during the season as they won 2-0.

West Herts were back in St. Albans on 17th March, and clinched the Cup with an emphatic 5-1 defeat of the West Herts Football Association. That match, played in front of around 700 spectators, saw Fred Sargent in action at St. Albans for one last time and suitably enough he marked the occasion by scoring one of the West Herts goal.

A return to winning ways was made on the 24th when James Dickson’s final goal of the season accounted for Borstal Rovers at the Grammar School Ground. Former Saint George Goodliffe brought an XI to St. Albans on the final day of the month but found his side, which included his brother Will, up against a weakened home side that was helped out by five players from Stanville and one from City Rovers. The match finished as 1-1 draw.

On 27th March, the day after Easter Monday, Dickerson was back with the professionals when he was given a trial for Luton Town in a friendly against a Roston Bourke XI. Luton won 5-0 in front of a crowd of 2,500. Dicky made several good saves during the game and he was not the only Saint on show, as, in the Town attack, was James Dickson. Also in the Luton side was Fred Allen who joined St. Albans in January 1896 and went on to play 114 times for the club.

For the Saints penultimate match of the season they played host to the Chiswick-based club Polytechnic – originally founded as Hanover United in 1875. Both teams were a player short just prior to the delayed kick off. St Albans secured the services of Sibley from City Rovers to complete their XI while Tom Spicer agreed to go in goal to assist the visitors. Spicer made the wisest decision as Polytechnic ran out 5-2 winners on a day of sultry weather conditions.

Saints bid farewell to Sandford Ffolliott Pierpoint Moore

The final match of the season, played on 14th April 1894, was a memorable occasion for four reasons. Firstly, the visitors were the Casuals who, the previous Saturday, had played Old Carthusians in the final of the Amateur Cup. Casuals lost the game 2-1 in front of a crowd of 3,500. Secondly; the game was for the benefit of the St. Albans Hospital. Thirdly, it would be Sandford Moore’s final game for the club and, fourthly, it would also be the last time that St. Albans would play at the Grammar School Ground.

Moore had been a marvellous servant of the club for seven years and it was most fitting that for his final match, on 14th April, that the opposition should be a high-profile outfit in the form of Casuals. The C.E.T.S. (Diocese of St. Albans Church of England Temperance Society Band) offered their services and duly entertained the spectators before the match, at half time and again at the final whistle.

Moore leaves St Georges a

1891 92 SFP MooreSFP MooreProceeds from the game were to be donated to the St. Albans Hospital and expectations were high for an exceptionally large gate. Unfortunately, the occasion went a little flat as rain lashed down for much of the day, this kept the attendance down and reduced the takings to £13 when £20 had been anticipated. The donation to the hospital was boosted, however, by the Casuals graciously turning down the guarantee they were due.

Those who did attend were able to see Moore sign off in the best fashion possible as, with the match evenly balanced at 1-1 and with full-time looming, he seized possession in midfield and ran at the visitor’s defence before despatching an unstoppable effort past H. Perkins in the Casuals goal. Perkins, the goalkeeper for Stanville, had been in fine form throughout the afternoon and only stepped in at the last minute when the Casuals turned up short of two players. F. Dack of Stanville also assisted the away team.

Moore’s final goal for the club not only ensured that the Saints ended the Holywell Hill Meadow chapter of their history on a winning note but also gave the home supporters a welcome opportunity to vociferously offer their congratulations and good wishes to the popular and well-mannered St. Albans forward.

The club formally bade farewell to Moore (left) the following Tuesday at a dinner attended by the Mayor and several of his council colleagues, Moore was presented with an inscribed top quality ‘smokers’ companion.’ St. George’s School also paid tribute to the immensely popular Sandford Ffolliott Pierpoint Moore with this tribute in ‘The Georgian’ journal.

In addition to the first team matches the club also revived its Reserve section although this side played only a small number of matches.

The Bingham Cox Cup was retained by Stanville who, on Easter Monday, defeated Redbourn 4-1, the match was refereed by Horace (Hod) Paul. The Stanville side included no less than eight players who, at one time or another, turned out for St. Albans. The Bingham Cox match was not the only game scheduled to be played at the ground that day. The Saints had arranged a friendly against Romford but due to travel and communication problems the Essex side never made it to the ground. J.W. Sharpe, in his position as club secretary, wrote to his opposite number at Romford seeking reimbursement of £1 2s for the following reasons; 6s for ground and gatemen, 3s police, 3s sandwich men and 10s advertising. After pleading innocence that the non-arrival of their team was due to circumstances beyond their control, Romford forwarded a postal order to the value of 22s.

The 1893-94 season saw St. Albans play at the Grammar School Ground - or Holywell Hill Meadow - for the final time before locating to a new ground although but for the weather the move may well have taken place one year earlier than it eventually did. With the development of Clarence Park well under way, plans were in hand for the football club to be resident by the autumn of 1893 but due to a long dry summer it had not been possible to carry out the preparation work necessary to bring the playing surface up to standard.

A good number of the St. Albans players from these early years were also proficient in other sports with many of them keeping fit during the summer as members of various local cricket clubs. During the summer of 1894 John Sharpe played for both West Herts and a St. Albans club by the name of Commercial - needless to say it was a side consisting of local businessmen. Also featuring in the latter line-up were St. Albans footballers George Hartley, Fred Gentle, C.T. Moon, H.H. Cox, Herbert Webdale, Alfred Miskin and George Wagstaffe Simmons. The St. Michael’s Cricket Club had E. Beenham, W.G. Long and W. Sygrove amongst their numbers while Sandridge had James Dickson and Hertford Excelsior Jack Dickerson. Over in Harpenden, St. George’s often called upon the services of Aubrey More, Baron Wetherall, Herbert Elliott, Frank Mardell and the redoubtable Messrs Sandford Moore and Sidney Stanley. A couple of seasons earlier H.O. Chatterton served St. Albans Cricket Club as Assistant Hon. Secretary.

1893-94 Season Line-ups

Sep 23 Fr CLARENCE (H) W 3 - 1 Dickerson J Mardall F Ware F Lord GR Sharp EM Smith T Sharpe EN Stanley SM Moore SFP (1) Sharpe JW (1) Dickson JW (1)
Sep 30 Fr LONDON CALEDONIANS (H) W 2 - 1 Dickerson J Mardall F Ware F Lord GR Sharp EM Smith T Sharpe EN (1) Baldry W Simmons GW Dickson JW (1) Sharpe JW
Oct 7 Fr OLD ST. STEPHEN'S (H) D 4 - 4 Dickerson J Mardall F Ware F Simmons GW Sharp EM Smith T Sharpe EN (1) Dickson JW (1) Sharpe JW (1) Miskin A (1) Stanley SM
Oct 14 Fr STANLEY (H) W 5 - 3 Dickerson J Mardall F Ware F Simmons GW Sharp EM Smith T Sharpe EN (1) Morley H Sharpe JW (2) Potts HA Moore SFP (2)
Oct 21 Fr 1st GRENADIER GUARDS (H) W 1 - 0 Dickerson J Mardall F Smith T Sharp EM Paul H Wetherall RG Sharpe EN Dickson JW Stanley SM Potts HA Sharpe JW (1)
Oct 28 Fr WOODVILLE (H) W 3 - 1 Dickerson J Aylen CH Ware F Sharp EM Mardall F (1) Smith T Sharpe EN Simmons GW Sharpe JW Dickson JW (1) Moore SFP (1)
Nov 4 Fr St. George's College (A) D 1 - 1 Dickerson J Mence H Mardall F Smith T Simmons GW Lord GR Sharpe EN (1) Lindley P Dickson JW Francis W Sharpe JW
Nov 25 Fr NORTH KENT (H) W 4 - 1 Dickerson J Mardall F Mence H Lord GR Simmons GW Sharp EM Arnold H (1) Dickson JW Sharpe JW Lindley F (1) Francis W (1)
Dec 2 Fr CIVIL SERVICE (H) W 3 - 0 Dickerson J Mardall F Mence H Lord GR Simmons GW Sharp EM Orton Dickson JW (1) Aylen CH Sharpe JW (1) Francis W (1)
Dec 9 Fr ST. BARTHOLOMEW'S HOSPITAL (H) W 2 - 1 Dickerson J Mence H Ware F Francis W Mardall F Sharp EM Sharpe EN Stanley SM (1) Dickson JW Sharpe JW (1) Wheeler C
Dec 23 Fr CALEDONIAN ATHLETIC (H) W 3 - 1 Dickerson J Mardall F Mence H Pearce H Paul H Sharp EM Sharpe EN Moore SFP (3) Sharpe JW Francis W -
Dec 26 Fr CLAPHAM ROVERS (H) L 2 - 3 Dickerson J Mardall F Ware F Simmons GW Dickson JW Francis W Arnold H Sharpe EN (1) Moore SFP Sharpe JW More AH
Dec 30 Fr 3rd GRENADIER GUARDS (H) D 1 - 1 Dickerson J Mardall F Mence H Lord GR Simmons GW Sharp EM Sharpe EN Long WG Dickson JW Sharpe JW (1) Francis W
Jan 13 Fr GUY'S HOSPITAL (H) D 4 - 4 Andrews HC Ware F Mence H Lord GR Aylen CH Sharp EM (1) Giddens Cpl (1) Sharpe JW Mardall F Ware E (2) Francis W
Jan 20 Fr MALVERN VAGABONDS (H) W 5 - 4 Dickerson J Mardall F Mence H Lord GR Simmons GW Sharp EM Sharpe EN (1) Dickson JW (1) Moore SFP (2) Sharpe JW (1) Francis W
Jan 27 Fr KING'S COLLEGE HOSPITAL (H) W 7 - 0 Dickerson J Mence H Ware F Mardall F Dickson JW Sharp EM Sharpe EN Laughton HR Moore SFP (2) Francis W (3) Long WG
Feb 3 Fr 2nd COLDSTREAM GUARDS (H) W 4 - 3 Dickerson J Mardall F Mence H Lord GR Dickson JW (1) Sharp EM Sharpe EN Laughton HR Long WG Sharpe JW (1) Francis W (2)
Feb 10 Fr BOWES PARK (H) W 2 - 1 Dickerson J Greenfield A Ware F Mardall F Simmons GW Sharp EM Sharpe EN Stanley SM Long WG Sharpe JW (1) Francis W
Feb 24 Fr CLAPTON (H) L 2 - 3 Dickerson J Mence H Mardall F Sharp EM Dickson JW Simmons GW Sharpe EN Long WG Moore SFP (1) Sharpe JW Francis W (1)
Feb 28 Fr St. George's College (A) W 4 - 3 Dickerson J Smith AC Lord GR Royds RT Simmons GW Sharp EM Brickwell AJ (2) Laughton HR (2) Dickson JW Arnold H Sharpe JW
Mar 3 HSC WEST HERTS (H) L 2 - 3 Dickerson J Aylen CH Ware F Sharp EM Dickson JW Mardell F Giddings W (1) Stanley SM Moore SFP Sharpe JW Francis W (1)
Mar 10 Fr VAMPIRES (H) L 0 - 2 Dickerson J Mardall F Smith HN Royds ETH Simmons GW Young W Bacon R Brickwell AJ Deamer W Sharpe EN Francis W
Mar 24 Fr BOSTAL ROVERS (H) W 1 - 0 Dickerson J Mardall F Brown A Webb L Sharp EM Francis W Sharpe EN Long WG Dickson JW (1) Sharpe JW Johnstone A
Mar 31 Fr GEORGE GOODLIFFE XI (H) D 1 - 1 Perkins H Sibley A Francis W Sharp EM Simmons GW Pearce H Arnold H Long WG Stevens J (1) Sharpe JW Sharpe EN
Apr 7 Fr


(H) L 2 - 5 Dickerson J Aylen CH Mence H Sibley A Simmons GW Sharp EM Sharpe EN (1) Sharpe JW Mardall F Francis W Goodall CF (1)
Apr 14 Fr CASUALS (H) W 2 - 1 Moon CT Aylen CH Ware F Sharpe JW Mardall F Francis W Dickson JW Long WG Moore SFP (1) Ware E (1) Sharpe EN

Appearances & Goals

HC Andrews 1 0
Herbert 'Bert'Arnold 4 1
Cecil Hugh Aylen 6 0
R Bacon 1 0
W Baldrry 1 0
AJ Brickwell 2 2
A Brown 1 0
W Deamer 1 0
Jack Dickerson 23 0
James William Dickson 19 8
W 'Jock' Francis 19 9
Walter Giddings 2 2
CF Goodall 1 1
A Greenfield 1 0
A Johnstone 1 0
Harry 'Daddy' Laughton 3 2
F Lindley 1 1
P Lindley 1 0
WG Long 8 0
GR Lord 10 0
Frank Mardall 23 1
H Mence 12 0
Alfred Miskin 1 1
CT Moon 1 0
Sandford Ffolliott PierpointMoore 10 13
Aubrey Hyndford More 1 0
H Morley 1 0
Orton 1 0
Horace 'Hod' Paul 2 0
H Pearce 2 0
H Perkins 1 0
HA Potts 2 0
ETH Royds 1 0
RT Royds 1 0
Ernest Michael Mannock Sharp 22 1
Ernest Northern Sharpe 21 7
John William Sharpe 24 11
A Sibley 2 0
George Wagstaffe Simmons 16 0
AC Smith 1 0
HN Smith 1 0
Tom Smith 7 0
Sidney Margetts Stanley 6 1
Jack Stevens 1 1
E Ware 2 3
F Ware 12 0
L Webb 1 0
Baron George Clhilton Wetherall 1 0
Charlie Wheeler 1 0
W Young 1 0
Unknown Scorers   3
Own Goals   2