With the opening of Clarence Park during the summer of 1894, St. Albans’ nomadic existence came to an end, as the club was granted occupancy of the football ground within the public park gifted to the citizens of the city by Sir John Blundell Maple.

The 1894-95 season was always going to be a momentous one in St. Albans’ history, if only for the fact that the club now played its home matches at one of the most impressive grounds in the county. In a bid to attract large crowds the club issued a Family Season Ticket at a cost of £1 1s.

To further entice the locals to Clarence Park the club also competed in both the F.A. Cup and the F.A. Amateur Cup for the first time. Just for good measure the club also entered the Luton Charity Cup but, not for the first time, controversy surrounded the Saints participation in the Herts County Cup.

Life at Clarence Park was hardly idyllic for the First team early on with James Dickson picking up an injury during the first game played at the Park on 22nd September. When, in October, his return appeared unlikely he tendered his resignation as captain but the offer was swiftly rejected although his assistant captain, Jack Dickerson, was officially placed in charge on the pitch until such time that he could return to action.

The loss of Dickson was a serious blow for the Pinks as they had already lost the prolific goalscoring skills of Sandford Moore and Mike Sharpe, the latter having announced his retirement at the start of the season. The side was further weakened when Sidney Stanley, one of the St. George’s School old boys, also moved out of the locality after more than eight years with the club.

That opening match at Clarence Park was against familiar opposition in the form of Sir John Blundell's staff under the name of Clarence. Such was the success of the furniture store at that time it is believed that the company employed around 3,000 people. The game got off to a bad start for Dickson as he lost the toss but a representative of St. Albans, in the form of the Mayor, took the kick-off with the Saints kicking towards the Ninefields goal. In years to come it would be better known as the York Road end of the ground.

 At the opposite end of the ground was a tree that was a significant feature of the first 90 years of the St. Albans City club. That tree gained some notoriety with the very first match played at the ground, as the report details; ‘Hargroves (Clarence) put into the centre of the tree ...’ Mike Sharpe had the honour of being the first local citizen to score at Clarence Park but he was quickly followed by Frank Mardell who had the distinction of notching the first own goal as the two teams settled on a 1-1 draw.

Dickerson plays for Luton Town

Missing from the Saints line-up was Dickerson who, two days later on 24th September, was having his first run-out of the season for Luton Town in a 5-2 win over Casuals.

One week after the Clarence match the Saints travelled to Watford and were hammered 7-0 by West Herts, St. Albans’ day was made complete when Mike Sharpe confirmed he would not be available for the rest of the season. October began with a 3-0 win over London Hospital but it was on the 13th that the season came fully into life when the Saints travelled to Norbury to play Vampires in their first F.A. Cup tie.

Luton Tn v Casuals 24 09 1894 1 JD in goal


Childwick win the Cesarewitch

The game came just a day after the club had received a boost from the ongoing generosity of Sir Blundell who had been made aware of the need for some protection from the elements for spectators at Clarence Park . During a lengthy speech he gave at the St. Albans Athletic Sports Committee Annual Dinner at the Peahen Hotel he said the following.

“Football is the game which at this time of the year is most in favour, and I am told it would be most advantageous to have a small pavilion erected on the football ground, not only because it would be more convenient, but also because it might increase the receipts. I had a win this week, and if one hundred pounds would put a little pavilion up there in memory of Childwick, I should be glad to place it at your disposal. We do not want an elaborate building, but one which will enable ladies to remain in the dry should the elements prove unfavourable, and for admission to this pavilion an additional 6d or 3d could be charged. As you are all aware, I am most anxious that this ground shall be a success.”

The win to which Sir Blundell referred came in the Cesarewitch at Newmarket on 10th October. His horse, the four-year-old Childwick (Chillick), which he had purchased at Doncaster for the then record fee for a horse of that age of 6,000 guineas, raced home by four lengths at odds of 20/1 and won its owner £1,035. The horse won a major handicap again later in the month before being put out to stud.

At the conclusion of the M.P.'s speech the Mayor responded with a glowing tribute to the kindly knight and presented Sir Blundell, Lady Maple and their daughter with life membership tickets to Clarence Park and the Recreation Ground that they had given to St. Albans just three months earlier. Given that Blundell Maple had been granted the Freedom of the City, he probably did not really need a Life Membership ticket to the Park.

The Saints first F.A. and Amateur Cup ties

 The following day saw St. Albans in F.A. Cup action for the first time, this advertisement (below) appeared in ‘Pastime’ magazine;

Vampires v St Albans

On this occasion Mardell netted at the correct end of the pitch and this proved sufficient to successfully open a new chapter in St. Albans history as it carried the club through to a 2nd Round Qualifying tie with Maidenhead. On the same day that St. Albans were winning against Vampires, Clarence Park was hosting a 50-mile bicycle race that attracted an attendance of around 2,000 spectators.

In between the two English Cup ties another slice of history was created as the club visited Chesham on 20th October for its first match in the F.A. Amateur Cup. Chesham were highly rated before the 1st Round tie but a St. Albans side that showed no fewer than five changes from the one which won at Vampires proved too strong for their hosts. With a brace of goals from Harry Laughton and singles from John Sharpe and Sidney Stanley the Saints chalked up a creditable 4-2 victory.

A break was taken from competitive football to win 7-2 at St. George’s at the end of the month, John Sharpe scored a hat-trick. November, however, was not such a successful time, as the end of the road was reached in both of the national knock-out competitions. In the F.A. Cup, Luton Town visited Clarence Park and handed their hosts a 6-1 drubbing on the 13th, Laughton scoring for the homesters. The St. Albans XI was supposedly strengthened with three players from the Crouch End club. Dickerson was back in goal for St. Albans for this match. Luton got through two more rounds, which included a 4-0 win over Tottenham Hotspur, before bowing out in the competition proper at home to one of the northern powerhouses of the time, Preston North End.

Two days after the defeat to Luton Town, Jack Dickerson was back in the Luton line-up for a friendly against, ironically, Preston North End at Dallow Lane. Preston won 4-2. The Bert Sanders of ‘Pianos & Organs’ mentioned in Official Match Card is the same person who turned out for Luton Town, Luton Melrose and St. Albans. He was born on 19th November 1869 in Dunstable and passed away in Luton in the summer of 1941.  

Luton Tn v PNE 5 11 1894 1
 Luton Tn v PNE 5 11 1894 2

St Albans reverted to their more regular line-up for the visit of Maidenhead the following week. For the first time spectators had the comfort of standing on lattice boards around the outside of the Clarence Park pitch instead of on grass. The expense of acquiring the footboards, £21, went some way towards explaining why the club suffered a heavy financial loss come the end of the season. But, on the plus side, the ground now housed the pavilion funded by Sir Blundell, which was described as an ‘enclosure filled with garden seats and chairs.’

Amateur Cup bid dims

With two goals from Westcott-White St. Albans got themselves into a winning position against Maidenhead only for bad light to bring about a premature termination of the game. At the time of the abandonment the Saints led 2-1 but the result was declared null and void and the two teams returned to Clarence Park for a replay the following Saturday. This time, despite playing reasonably well, St. Albans’ finishing left a deal to be desired and Maidenhead, although under pressure for much of the game, were able to secure a 2-0 victory. Making his debut for St. Albans was the Luton player Bert Sanders, he went on to feature in 79 St Albans’ matches. Maidenhead were rewarded with a trip to West Herts in the next round where once again the first encounter was abandoned - this time during extra time - due to bad light. Maidenhead won the replay 4-2.

November was seen off with a friendly against Chesham at the Park that finished all square at 2-2. The notes in the local press commenting on the game spoke in high praise of seeing F. Ware, Stanley and Fred Sargent back in the St. Albans line-up but was less impressed with the performance of F, Hume, for whom this was the only time that he was seen in action for the Pinks. “A newcomer was also tried in the person of F. Hume, but I will charitably draw a veil over his performance, or non-performance, and allow him to retire into that seclusion from which, from a football point of view, he should never have emerged.”

Moves to shut out the freeloaders

A strong XI representing St. Mary’s Hospital provided the opposition on 1st December at Clarence Park , the visitors ran out 2-1 winners. The editorial piece about the game focused on the number of people gaining a free view of the game from the railway bridge. This, presumably, was the footbridge running from Lemsford Road rather than the one closer to the railway station at the foot of Hatfield Road. At this time York Road, that in later years was to run on from the Lemsford Road footbridge, was just an unnamed footpath with no houses. The report added that steps were shortly to be taken to prevent a free view of the football.

The First team were without a game on the 8th but it was a good day for the Reserve team who defeated Hatfield at Clarence Park in the Herts Junior Cup on the back of goals from Bert Sansom, G. Westcott-White and Jack Stevens. A crowd of 400 welcomed the return of the First XI the following week and witnessed an entertaining game that saw St Bartholomew’s Hospital win 2-1.

Another approximate gate of around 400 returned to the Park on the 22nd for the visit of West Herts but it was fewer people than had been anticipated. The reason being that the pitch was little but mud following a week of rain, while a gale force wind rendered any coherent play virtually impossible.

Given the state of the pitch three days before Christmas it seems remarkable that two games took place at Clarence Park on Boxing Day. In the morning the Saints Reserve team drew 2-2 with City Rovers while in the afternoon Clapham Rovers, complete with the popular Cecil Aylen, went down 1-0 after being outplayed for the entire 90 minutes. The latter game drew a crowd of over 1,000 spectators. St. Albans faced being two players short due to the non-appearance of Barker and Cox but received welcome assistance from right-back C. Sibley and right-half Frank Payne. Both players had also turned out in the morning for City Rovers. Strangely, several of the Clapham players are said to have appeared under assumed names.

St. Albans had been due to end the year with a game against the Casuals but the latter scratched at late notice. They did, however, vow to make amends on 5th January but, again, pulled out one day before the scheduled date. Replacements were found in London side Bowes Park. As with recent games, the Saints played well but their finishing was poor and from virtually their only two attacks Bowes Park, aided by an own goal by military man Simpson, won 2-0.

The Bowes Park game had been another blighted by mud but nature took a different turn during the following week and a scheduled home game with Woodville on the 12th was knocked out by a frozen pitch. Old Cholmeleians, drawn from the former pupils of Highgate School, were the next side to scratch at late notice but their place on the 19th was filled by the 12th Company Medical Staff Corps. The opposition, due to the late notice, were far from being at full strength and Harry Laughton took full advantage to score his first hat-trick as the Saints romped home 4-0.

Progress made in the Luton Charity Cup

The month closed with the Saints playing their first game in the Luton Charity Cup and Chesham making their third visit of the season to Clarence Park . Laughton scored again during a 2-0 win. Chesham disputed the second goal claiming that the ball had not crossed the line, but had their protests waved away.

A winter of miserable weather wiped out the First team fixtures for the whole of February, but the 2nd XI did get to play on the 23rd and announced their return to action in some style. Jack Stevens and W. Long led the way with five goals apiece during a 19-0 Herts Junior Cup semi-final slaughter of Broxbourne at a muddy Clarence Park .

The weather relented sufficiently for the First team to face St Bartholomew’s at the Park on 2nd March but with illness running through the team the Saints fielded five reserves. The Herts Advertiser described the illness as ‘influenza and other bodily visitations.’ The Medics included J.F. Fernie of the Casuals and won 3-0. St. Albans had been due to face Hitchin in the semi-final of the Herts Senior Cup on this date but withdrew from the competition in bizarre circumstances. At the start of the season the club had agreed with West Herts that, to give younger clubs a chance to win the cup, both would not enter the county cup this season. West Herts later changed their mind and would take part. On the Tuesday before they were due to meet Hitchin the Saints held a meeting to discuss their options. It was decided that, with the club competing in three other knock-out competitions, they would abide by their original decision and not contest the county cup. Hitchin, therefore, received a bye through to the final. The Football Star newspaper stated that, ‘St. Albans think the County Cup competition a farce.’

More inclement weather conditions and muddy pitches were a feature of games played on the 9th but it was, nonetheless, a good day for the club. The First XI defeated Clarence 4-1 at Clarence Park with Laughton adding another two goals to his tally while S. Paull scored in his only appearance for the club.

Herts Junior Cup final fiasco

Also on the 9th, the Reserve team faced Croxley in the final of the Herts Junior Cup. It was another day of free-scoring for the Saints second string as Jack Stevens bagged his second five-goal haul of the season during a 9-2 triumph. However, the matter was far from settled. Prior to the kick off J. Reynolds, the St. Albans captain, handed a protest to the referee, G.B. Kent of the Referee’s Association, that the ground – St. Mary’s in Wiggenhall Road, Watford - was not in a suitable condition for the game to take place. The Referee disagreed but after the game Mr Kent did lodge a protest to the County F.A. about the state of the pitch. The Herts F.A. met on the following Wednesday, 13th, and agreed that the game should be replayed, at St. Mary’s, on the 30th March.

The Luton Charity Cup semi-final tie with the 1st Scots Guards, at Luton Town’s Dallow Lane ground on 16th March, saw the Saints play in front of their largest gate of the season, around 3,000, but the Guards proved to be superior opposition and eased to a 4-0 win. Prior to the kick off the spectators were entertained by the pipers of the 1st Scots. The semi-finals of the Bingham Cox Cup were also played on this day. City Rovers moved through to the final with a 2-0 over St. Albans Abbey while Harpenden Rovers and Redbourn drew 1-1.

After bowing out of the Luton Charity Cup, St. Albans ended their season with four friendlies. The first of which was a 1-1 draw with Crusaders who had to borrow two players from the home team to fill their side. In the Bingham Cox Cup, Redbourn clinched their place in the final with a 4-1 replay win over Harpenden Rovers.

The Saints welcomed Old Citizens to the Park on 30th March. The Old Citizens were old boys of the City of London School rather than anything to do with St. Albans. The visitors arrived a man short and were loaned C.T. Moon at inside-left. Moon played seven times for St. Albans over three years and had refereed the friendly earlier in the month against Clarence. The Saints also used a substitute against the Old Citizens when the old boys allowed St. Albans to bring on Tom Smith in place of Dickerson when the goalkeeper suffered a recurrence of an injury sustained against Crusaders. The Saints won 3-0 in a match affected by rain that caused the sides to change straight round at half time rather than take a break.

Jack Stevens scores to clinch Junior Cup replay victory

Also taking place on the 30th, at the West Herts Ground, was the replayed final of the Herts Junior Cup between Croxley and the St. Albans Reserves. The pitch was in a good condition at the kick off but rain and hail made for slippery conditions later on. A second half goal by Jack Stevens saw the Reserves lift the trophy that, by rights, should have been theirs a fortnight earlier. The cup was collected by Saints captain A.J. Reynolds from W.H. English, the honorary secretary of the Hertfordshire F.A.

St. Albans were without a game on the first Saturday of April, as Clarence Park was given over to the replayed semi-final of the Herts Senior Cup between West Herts and close rivals Watford St. Mary’s. The date had been set at the start of the season for the final of the competition with Clarence Park selected as the venue. St. Albans charged the Herts F.A. £5 for the hire of the ground for the final and when the Park was selected for the replayed semi-final, late on the Friday night before the game was played, St. Albans held firm with charging the same price for that game too. The game was the fourth attempt to settle the tie. The most recent meeting, on Wednesday 3rd April, was abandoned at 7pm in near darkness with St. Mary’s leading 2-1. Justice was carried out in the third replay with St. Mary’s winning 5-1. The West Herts team included Fred Sargent.

 For the penultimate game of the season, on 13th April, the Saints entertained Old Wilsonians. The visitors were old boys of Wilson’s Grammar School in Camberwell and had been formed in 1885, just two years after the school formed its football team. Tyrell Paul Margetson replaced Dickerson in goal as the Saints club captain was away playing at Caledonian Park for the London Caledonians against Paris. For Margetson it was the first of thirty games the former Vampires goalkeeper was to play for the Saints in just over two years after moving into the area.

 Paris v London XI 1895 1

Two days later, on Easter Monday, City Rovers defeated Redbourn at Clarence Park in the final of the Bingham Cox Cup. The Rovers side included eight players who played for St. Albans at one time or another, while Redbourn called upon all three Jarman brothers and also three Hornby brothers. The final of the Bingham Cox failed to attract as big an attendance as had been anticipated but in the afternoon of the same day around 1,000 people were at Clarence Park to see the Saints complete their season with a 4-1 win over Watford St. Mary’s, courtesy of two goals from Aubrey More and singles from Laughton and Walter Giddings.

This was a far from easy year for the Herts F.A. and, following the resignation of its Hon Secretary, two names were proposed as replacements at its meeting on 27th November. One of those proposed was George Wagstaffe Simmons who had chaired the previous meeting on 7th November. Simmons though was defeated by the candidate from Hitchin, Mr W.H. English who was a teacher at Hitchin Grammar School. At the next meeting a somewhat heated exchange took place as each man detailed in which direction he felt the Association should move. On the playing side, the Herts F.A. continued in its poor state of recent years with just one county match played. The Hertfordshire side was dominated by West Herts and St Albans players with the Albanians providing five players. The opposition was the London F.A. who ran out comfortable 5-1 winners.

Herts v London 1895

Hertfordshire XI v London F.A.: Goal - J.Dickerson (St. Albans); Backs – J.S. Lidderdale (West Herts), F.Ware (St. Albans); Half Backs – F.Mardall (St. Albans), F.C.Robbins (West Herts), L.R.Shillitto (Hitchin); Forwards – W.Giddings (St. Albans), B.Sanders (St. Albans), C.Harrison (Watford St. Mary’s), H.Williams (Hitchin), C.Wheeler (West Herts).

 Frank Mardall and Jack Dickerson are in the middle of the front row and Bert Sanders is second from the right in the back row.

Annual Meeting highlights financial problems

St. Albans held their annual meeting at the Justice Room in the Town Hall at which the financial position of the club was detailed with some gravity. At the end of the previous campaign the club had declared a profit to the tune of £32 18s 6d, now its balance in hand stood at just £4 4s 4d. A cluster of unforeseen factors led to the dramatic decline in the Saints position.

St. Albans Reserves 1 0 Croxley Herts Junior Cup final 189Whilst Clarence Park itself may have been proving to be popular with the locals the football ground was, surprisingly, less attractive and attendances were down on those witnessed at the Holywell Hill site. Along with the drop in attendances there was also a fall in membership subscriptions. Part of the drop in spectator numbers could be blamed on the dreadful weather throughout the latter part of winter while there was also the £21 spent on footboards that put a dent in the balance sheet. The figures were particularly dispiriting given that the club had benefited from a record ‘take’ from the English Cup match against Luton Town. 

One of the high points of the meeting saw the Mayor, Cllr H. Gibson, present the Reserve team with their Herts Junior Cup winners medals. Pictured is George Wagstaffe Simmons’ winners’ medal. Simmons, in 1947, wrote the first hardback history of Tottenham Hotspur. At that time he was vice-chairman at White Hart Lane and, in the book, he included this comment regarding his Herts Junior Cup medal, ‘This was the first medal I ever won at football, and it is one of my most cherished possessions to-day.’

Amongst the vice-presidents re-elected during the meeting for the following season were Sir Blundell Maple, James Dickson, Charles Woollam and Major General Bigge.

That there was a Junior Cup was down to the St. Albans representative at a meeting of the Herts F.A. at the Bedford Head Hotel on 20th August 1894. Jack Dickerson proposed a cup for the junior sides in the county. By the end of the evening rules had been constructed around which the Herts Junior Cup - full name, The Herts County F.A. Junior Challenge Cup - was to function.

End of an era

Following on from the departure of Sandford Moore at the end of the 1893-94 season, St. Albans bade farewell to five more of their big guns during the 1894-95 campaign.

 EMM SharpMike Sharp
Ernest Michael Mannock Sharp, better known as Mike Sharp, announced his retirement after picking up an injury during the opening game of the season against Clarence. Earlier in the day he’d had the honour of scoring the first goal ever scored at Clarence Park . After making his debut in January 1885, Mike played 118 games for the Saints, mostly at left half-back, scoring six times. He was in the line-up for the Saints first competitive game, a County Cup tie against Watford Rovers in November 1886, and appeared in three finals including in 1892-93 when the club won the County Cup first the first time. Mike Sharp was born in 1868 

 1894 95 Cecil AylenCecil AylenCecil Hugh Aylen first played for St. Albans, at full-back, on 26th November 1881 when a team from Salisbury Hall, Barnet, were beaten 1-0, it was also the Saints first win since the formation of the club. He played in two Herts Senior Cup finals but was on the losing side on both occasions. He was highly regarded as a full-back and during his 13 years of playing for St. Albans he scored just one goal; it was on a day when at least of his team mates also found the back of the net as London side Olympians were trounced 17-1 at the Holywell Hill Meadow. He also played eight games for Hertfordshire, including the very first game played by the county. Cecil made the last of his 111 appearances for St. Albans 17th November 1894 when Maidenhead won the replayed Amateur Cup tie at Clarence Park . He also played for Upton Park and Clapham Rovers, and it was as captain of the Rovers that he made his last appearance at Clarence Park on 21st December 1895 when St. Albans won 6-0.

Born in Marylebone on 20th June 1869 Cecil Aylen’s occupation was that of a surveyor and land agent. After retiring, he moved from
London to Torquay and passed away in a nursing home in Newton Abbott on 11th February 1961. He had four children.

1884 85 Alec SargentAlec Sargent
Sidney Margetts Stanley played just 28 games for St. Albans but was a highly regarded forward. He scored 20 times for the club and was also a regular scorer for St. George’s, including a known seven goals against St. Albans. Prior to joining St. George’s in Harpenden, he was at St, George’s in Brampton, Northamptonshire. He was captain of both the school cricket and football teams. He gained county honours with Cambridgeshire, making six appearances for the county whilst playing for Wisbech St. Augustine’s. He also had a spell with Luton Town, during which time he scored against Tottenham Hotspur, and played two games for Watford. Sidney passed his B.A. Degree at Dublin on 22nd December 1895 and was later Deacon at Ware and ordained as a priest in St. Albans. He was born in Hardingstone, Northamptonshire, on 6th May 1868. In 1903 he married Mildred Florence Kirkby, the couple lived at the Rectory in Stapleford Tawny, Essex, until Sidney passed away on 5th May 1943.

1884 85 Fred SargentFred SargentThe 1894-95 season also saw Frederick ‘Fred’ Albert Sargant play the final two games of his 52 appearances for St. Albans. Those last two games came almost eight years after his 50th game and, at the age of 36, was well past the peak of his powers. He had scored a hat trick on his debut in March 1883 and went on to score in 34 of his 52 games. Taking the 15 goals that he scored in one game – against Seckford Rovers – as five  hat tricks, he scored 17 hat tricks in his time with the club. He played in seven games for Hertfordshire and scored 17 goals, just for good measure he also scored 161 times in 152 games for Watford Rovers. Another profile of Fred Sargent can be found, along with a wonderful posed photograph, in the review of the 1882-83 season.

Fred Sargent’s brother W. Alec Sargent, also played the last of his 28 games for the Saints in December 1894 when Clapham Rovers were defeated 1-0. Alec was more frequently seen in Watford Rovers’ colours than St. Albans and played 139 games for the Saints neighbours between 1883-92. He scored ten goals.

 St. Albans lost another friend from its formative years on 7th May when William Masters, a significant figure during the Saints early days and a noted person within the city at the time, died suddenly in his London office at the age of 49 following a massive heart attack.


 St. Albans 1894 95 copy

St Albans pictured prior to the 1-0 win away to Vampires in the replayed F.A. Cup tie on 13th October 1894.

Harry Payne, W. Alec Sargent, Walter Giddens, Ernest Northern Sharpe, Frank Mardall, Cecil Hugh Aylen, Harry R. Laughton, W. Jock Francis, Herbert N. Vinsen.

 John William Sharpe, Jack Dickerson, James William Dickson, Arthur Taylor, Joe J. Heath.


1894-95 Season Line-ups

Sep 22 Fr CLARENCE (H) D 1 - 1 Parkins H Mardall F Sargent WA Sharpe JW Simmons GW Sharp EM (1) Laughton HR Dickson JW Westcott-White G Francis W Sharpe EN
Sep 29 Fr West Herts (A) L 0 - 7 Dickerson J Ware F Dudley B Sharpe JW Mardall F Dudley H More AH Potts HA Westcott-White G Francis W Laughton HR
Oct 6 Fr LONDON HOSPITAL (H) W 3 - 0 Rickards J Mardall F Reynolds AJ Moon CT Looker HW Satchell W Sharpe EN (1) Laughton HR Long WG Sharpe JW (2) Francis W
Oct 13 FAC1q Vampires (A) W 1 - 0 Dickerson J Aylen CH Sargent WA Mardall F (1) Taylor AH Vinsen HN Sharpe EN Laughton HR Giddings W Sharpe JW Heath JJ
Oct 20 AC1q Chesham (A) W 4 - 2 Dickerson J Ware F Sargent WA Mardall F Simmons GW Looker HW Sharpe EN Laughton HR (2) Sharpe JW (1) Stanley SM (1) Francis W
Oct 27 Fr ST. GEORGE'S (H) W 7 - 2 Rickards J Reynolds AJ Sargent WA Mardall F Simmons GW Lord GR Sharpe EN (1) Laughton HR (1) Sharpe JW (2) Long WG Francis W (3)
Nov 3 FAC2q LUTON TOWN (H) L 1 - 6 Dickerson J Aylen CH Sargent WA Mardall F Taylor AH Sharpe JW Sharpe EN Laughton HR (1) Gresham FB Giddings W Heath JJ
Nov 10 AC2q MAIDENHEAD (H) W 2 - 1 Dickerson J Aylen CH Ware F Mardall F Sargent WA Looker HW Sharpe EN Laughton HR Sharpe JW Francis W Westcott-White G (2)
Nov 17 AC2q MAIDENHEAD (H) L 0 - 2 Dickerson J Aylen CH Sanders B Mardall F Simmons GW Sargent WA Sharpe EN Laughton HR Sharpe JW Francis W Arnold H
Nov 24 Fr CHESHAM (H) D 2 - 2 Dickerson J Mardall F Ware F Hums F Simmons GW Sargent WA Sargent FA Laughton HR (1) Sharpe JW Stanley SM (1) Sharpe EN
Dec 1 Fr ST. MARY'S HOSPITAL (H) L 1 - 2 Dickerson J Mardall F Ware F Stevens J Reynolds AJ Sharpe JW (1) Sansom H Laughton HR Giddings W Stanley SM Sharpe EN
Dec 15 Fr ST. BARTHOLOMEW'S HOSPITAL (H) L 1 - 2 Dickerson J Sanders B Ware F Sharpe EN Mardall F Vinsen H Sansom H Laughton HR Sharpe JW Stanley SM (1) More AH
Dec 22 Fr WEST HERTS (H) L 0 - 1 Dickerson J Sanders B Ware F Sharpe EN Simmons GW Mardall F Sansom H Laughton HR Sharpe JW Ware E Collins C
Dec 26 Fr CLAPHAM ROVERS (H) W 1 - 0 Dickerson J Sibley C Ware F Sharpe EN Mardall F Sargent WA Payne H Ware E Sharpe JW (1) Sargent FA Giddings W
Jan 5 Fr BOWES PARK (H) L 0 - 2 Dickerson J Sanders B Simpson S Sharpe EN Mardall F Vinsen H Giddings W Laughton HR Stevens J Sharpe JW Payne H
Jan 19 Fr 12th COMPANY MEDICAL STAFF CORPS (H) W 4 - 0 Sygrove W Sibley A Sargent WA Reynolds AJ Mardall F Sharpe EN Giddings W Sharpe JW Laughton HR (3) Long WG Payne H (1)
Jan 26 LCC CHESHAM (H) W 2 - 0 1 Dickerson J Sanders B Ware F Sharpe JW Mardall F Sharpe EN Giddings W Taylor AH Laughton HR (1) Nicholson RS More AH
Mar 2 Fr ST. BARTHOLOMEW'S HOSPITAL (H) L 0 - 3 Dickerson J Sanders B Ware F Reynolds AJ Mardall F Sharpe EN Arnold H Long WG Hoy AE Williams J Payne H
Mar 9 Fr CLARENCE (H) W 4 - 1 Dickerson J Sanders B Ware F Sharpe JW Taylor AH Whiting S Giddings W Laughton HR (2) Paull S (1) Nicholson RS (1) Collins C
Mar 16 LCCsf 1st Scots Guards (A) L 0 - 4 Dickerson J Ware F Sanders B Mardall F Taylor AH Sharpe EN Giddings W Long WG Laughton HR Sharpe JW More AH
Mar 23 Fr CRUSADERS (H) D 1 - 1 Dickerson J Sanders B Ware F Sharpe JW Mardall F Sharpe EN More AH (1) Laughton HR Taylor AH Westcott-White G Payne H
Mar 30 Fr OLD CITIZENS (H) W 3 - 0 Dickerson J Sanders B Whiting S Newman E Sharpe JW (1) Royds RT More AH Laughton HR (1) Mardall F Chiesea A (1) Blythe R
Apr 13 Fr OLD WILSONIANS (H) W 6 - 0 Margetson TP Sanders B Ware F Sharpe JW Taylor AH Sharpe EN Giddings W (1) Laughton HR (2) Ware E (2) Mardall F Payne H (1)
Apr 15 Fr WATFORD ST. MARY'S (H) W 4 - 1 Dickerson J Sanders B Ware F Sharpe JW Taylor AH Sharpe EN Giddings W (1) Laughton HR (1) Margetson TP Ware E More AH (2)

Appearances & Goals

H 'Bert' Arnold 2 0
Cecil Hugh Aylen 4 0
R Blythe 1 0
A Chiesea 1 1
C Collins 2 0
Jack Dickerson 19 0
James William Dickson 1 0
B Dudley 1 0
H Dudley 1 0
W 'Jock' Francis 7 3
Walter Giddings 11 2
FB Gresham 1 0
Joe J Heath 2 0
Alfred Ernest Hoy 1 0
F Hums 1 0
HR 'Daddy' Laughton 22 15
WG Long 5 0
HW Looker 3 0
GR Lord 1 0
Frank Mardall 22 1
Tyrell Paul Margetson 2 0
CT Moon 1 0
Aubrey Hyndford More 7 3
E Newman 1 0
RS Nicholson 2 1
H Parkins 1 0
S Paull 1 1
Harry Payne 6 2
HA Potts 1 0
AJ Reynolds 5 0
J Rickards 2 0
RT Royds 1 0
Albert 'Bert' Edward Sanders 12 0
H Sansom 3 0
Fred Albert Sargent 2 0
W Alec Sargent 10 0
W Satchell 1 0
Ernest Michael Mannock Sharp 1 1
Ernest Northern Sharpe 21 2
John William Sharpe 23 8
A Sibley 1 0
C Sibley 1 0
George Wagstaffe Simmons 6 0
S Simpson 1 0
Sidney Margetts Stanley 4 3
Jack Stevens 2 0
W Sygrove 1 0
Arthur H Taylor 8 0
Herbert N Vinsen 3 0
E Ware 4 2
F Ware 15 0
G Westcott-White 4 2
S Whiting 2 0
J Williams 1 0
Own Goals 1